Educational Resources

Post-9/11 GI Bill

If you are eligible for BOTH the Montgomery GI Bill-Chapter 30 AND Post 9/11-Chapter 33, please contact the Veteran Certifying Official on-campus before electing a chapter. Election in the Post 9/11-Chapter 33 program is IRREVOCABLE!

Learn More About The GI Bill

The Department of Veterans Administration provides programs of financial assistance for the education and training of eligible veterans and veteran dependents. These programs are designed to encourage self-improvement and offers financial help to such veterans and veteran dependents in raising their educational level. Curriculum programs are approved by the North Carolina State Approval Agency for training veterans under Public Law 894 and for children and widows of certain deceased or totally disabled veterans under Public Law 634. Carteret Community College has been approved for the training of veterans. Veterans, spouses, widows, and children of deceased veterans who want to attend school under US Code 10 or 38, Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606 or 1607 may be admitted to Carteret Community College and approved to receive educational benefits provided they meet the requirements established by the Department of Veterans Administration.

V.A. Toll Free Telephone Number and Internet Address

Call the toll free number if you need to communicate directly with the Veterans Administration. The number is 1-888-442-4551. Veteran students should be prepared to give their veteran file number (veterans social security number) to the Veterans Administration counselor who answers the telephone. You may also contact the Veterans Administration by email by going to the veterans affairs web site at www.va.gov and maneuver to the “Ask A Question and Find An Answer” page.

All students receiving Veterans Educational Assistance are encouraged to visit the Veterans Educational homepage at: benefits.va.gov/gibill/

How to Apply for Veterans Educational Assistance for Veterans & Reservists

You must apply with the Veterans Administration to begin using your educational benefits.

There are two ways for you to apply for these benefits:

  1. Apply on-line at: http://www.gibill.va.gov and click on Apply for Benefits. Please read the instructions listed on the website carefully before choosing this option. This application can also be downloaded from the GI Bill website.
  2. If you are using the Survivors and Dependents Educational Program-Chapter 35, it is recommended that students apply in-person with the county Veterans Service Officer.

The Carteret County Veterans Service Office can be found at 3710-B John Platt Drive, Morehead City, NC 28557 (ph. 728-8440). Other required information may include a marriage certificate, children’s birth certificates, divorce decree, or a deceased spouse’s death certificate.

In addition to applying with the Veterans Administration, you must:

  1. Submit the Institutional Application for Veterans Benefits and two copies of your DD-214 or NOBE (if you are the veteran or reservists) to the Financial Aid/Veterans Office at Carteret CC. This application can be found by clicking on the forms link of the Financial Aid/Veterans page.
  2. Complete the process for acceptance into an approved program of study:
    1. Submit an Application for Admission to Carteret Community College
    2. Request official transcripts from high school, GED scores, and other college or university transcripts, if applicable.
      Note: official high school transcript must include graduation date.
    3. Take the placement test. Contact the MAPS Center at (252) 222-6236 or MAPS@carteret.edu.

V.A. Student Responsibilities

  • A veteran student must notify the Veterans Certifying Official with a change of major program of study.
  • A student must contact the Veterans Administration if there is a change in address or number of hours enrolled.
  • A veteran student may not enroll in a class outside his or her approved curriculum as indicated on the curriculum check sheet.
  • A student receiving Veteran benefits is not allowed to repeat any courses for which he or she has previously been given credit. It is the student’s responsibility to enroll in only those courses required for graduation.
  • In addition, a veteran student may pursue a double major by completing a Second Major form with the Registrar’s Office.

Enrollment Status

Enrollment status is based on registered credit hours that count towards the students program of study and length of enrollment for the term. Classes taken outside of the students major will not be included in enrollment status for VA purposes.

Post 9/11 Veterans: If you are enrolled solely in distance learning courses, the housing allowance will be prorated.

For a Veteran Education Assistance and Semester Hours and Length of Term Equivalents table download the download here.

Audit, Enrollment Change, College Prep Course, and Repeat of Courses

Courses taken for “Audit” purposes will not be calculated in the VA enrollment status. In the event a student changes his course(s) to “Audit” after the beginning of term, the enrollment status will be reduced by the appropriate amount. A repayment of aid may be required.

If a student changes his or her enrollment status during the term, or during the academic year, the VA will be notified, and benefits will be decreased by the appropriate amount.

A student’s placement test scores and/or prior college coursework will determine whether or not remedial coursework is required.

College prep (remedial) courses that are taught completely on-line can not be certified for enrollment purposes.

A student can repeat a course that was failed in a prior term.

Enrollment can not be certified for courses that are previously taken and passed.

Change of Major, Program of Study, or Place of Training

If a veteran student wants to change his or her major program of study or transfers from one school to another, he or she should complete the Form 22-1995 or Form 22-5495, located in the Financial Aid/Veterans Office or on the VA website.

Certification Periods

Veterans are required to notify the VA Certifying Official at financialaid@carteret.edu after registering for his/her next period of enrollment. Students who register late and/or do not notify the VA Certifying Official may experience a break in pay.


A veteran student is expected to attend class. As with all students, a veteran student exceeding the allowable absences will be dropped from class. This drop will be reported to the Veterans Administration, and benefits will be adjusted accordingly.

Verification of Attendance

Most veterans receiving MGIB-Active Duty benefits (Chapter 30), as well as those in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606 and/or 1607), must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by logging on to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at gibill.va.gov wave or by calling the VA toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

Paper verification forms (VA Form 22-8979) will no longer be issued for persons receiving Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 or Chapter 1607 benefits.

The next monthly check will be held until enrollment is verified by the Veterans Administration. To ensure timely payment, it is important to submit this information as soon as possible.

Course Substitution

A veteran student is expected to follow the curriculum standards as shown on curriculum check sheets, unless a course may be substituted to meet a requirement. A student may request course substitution with the submission of the Course Substitution Recommendation Form.

Independent Study

Under certain circumstances some courses may be taken on an independent study basis. The student must contact their advisor and curriculum coordinator for details in requesting approval to take a course by independent study.

Satisfactory Progress for V.A. Benefits

Probation will occur when a student’s major grade point average drops below 2.0. A student on probation may receive benefits for the next enrolled term; however, it is incumbent that the student improve his or her grades by the end of the probationary term. Failure to do so will result in suspension.

Suspension will occur after a student, on academic probation, fails to improve his or her GPA to at least a 2.0. A student on suspension cannot receive veteran’s benefits until his or her grade point average improves to the minimum standard.

If a student feels that he or she should be considered an exception to the minimum grade point average standard, then the student must petition the Veterans Certifying Official detailing his or her extenuating circumstances.

Double Majors and Dual Objectives

  • A double major is a student enrolling in 2 Associate degrees at the same time and at the same school. For example an AAS in Criminal Justice with a AA in in Associate in Arts.
  • A dual objective is a student enrolling in and pursuing an Associate’s degree and an Non College Degree NCD (certificate or diploma) at the same time and at the same school. For example, an AAS in Office Administration and a certificate in Business Administration-Management. Chapter 35 students cannot be certified for a dual objective.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a form of financial assistance for our Active Duty Military students.  Student must contact their respective Education Service Office (ESO), military counselor or Service Prior to enrollment.

Students are also encouraged to apply for Federal, State and Institutional financial aid.  The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is located at www.studentaid.gov.  Applicant information is sent directly to the State if the student’s home of record is North Carolina and it is indicated on the FAFSA.

Students may apply for institutional aid by completing a scholarship, child care assistance or Federal Work-Study application if they want to apply for these programs.  These applications are located on the college website.

Carteret CC does not participate in the Federal or Private student loan programs.

Cost of Attendance

Student may find the estimated Cost of Attendance on the college website:  https://carteret.edu/financial-aid/cost-of-attendance/.  Carteret CC does not offer on-campus housing.

Specific Program Accreditation can be found in Section 2.3 of the College Catalog & Student Handbook.

Application Process

It’s recommended that you complete the process of requesting tuition assistance at least thirty to sixty (30-60) days prior to your Carteret CC class start date!

Carteret CC has proudly provides affordable and convenient educational pathways for our nation’s military.  We are committed to supporting our military students in their pursuit of education through:

  • A Tuition Grant to cover any tuition costs over $250/credit hour (TA Limit)
  • Credit for Military Training based on your military training and experience will reduce the number of courses needed to complete your degree
  • Low or No Cost Textbooks to limit any out-of-pocket costs
  • Waived Administrative Fees for all military students using tuition assistance

Students must first create an account on their portal and gain approval from their service branch.

Military members should follow the prompts detailed on their appropriate TA service portals to sign up for Tuition Assistance.

Service Branch                                  Help Line

Air Force                                             877-596-5771 Option 7


Army                                                   877-272-1330


Coast Guard                                        405-954-1360


Marine Corps                                      703-784-3340


Navy                                                   877-838-1659


National Guard

Air Force Portal                                  877-596-5771

Army State Portal                               877-272-1330

Required Documentation

Official Transcripts

To be fully admitted to Carteret CC, all students must submit their high school transcripts and/or post secondary transcript indicating a conferred post-secondary degree. To receive potential transfer credit, students should submit the following official transcripts:

  • Joint Service Transcript (JST);
  • Transcripts from any previous institutions attended;
  • Any official score reports for the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Advanced Placement (AP), Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT), and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST).

If you have submitted official high school or college transcripts to Carteret CC within in the past 7 years, you may not have to resubmit the documents. Call Admissions at 910-500-0089 to ask about your status.

Army Personnel

Officers and warrant officers with no prior military service or other service members taking Army courses should request DD Form 295 from the Army Education Center.

The Army Service School Academic Report (DA Form 1059) documents training courses for officers and warrant officers. This document is acceptable if mailed from the Army Service School or certified by Army education personnel.

Department of Defense (DoD) Schools

Many DoD schools, such as Defense Language Institute, issue their own transcripts. If you attended any of these specialized schools, an official transcript must be requested in addition to your other military records.

Military Transcripts & Supporting Documents

Joint Services Transcript (Army/Coast Guard/Marine Corps/Navy Active Duty, Reserve & Veterans)
Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) Transcript
Coast Guard Institute Transcript

How to Submit Documents

Send all transcripts and Required Documents to Carteret CC for admission & to evaluate any potential transfer credit.

Carteret Community College
Admissions Office
3505 Arendell Street

Morehead City, NC  28557

Contact Carteret CC Admissions:
Phone: 252-222-6060

All electronic transcripts can be submitted to the admissions email address
Email: transcripts@carteret.edu

Military transcripts to be submitted through the JST website. Community College Air Force transcripts can be submitted to registrar@carteret.edu along with the student’s full name and last 4 digits of their SSN if a school issued student ID number is not available.

Tuition Assistance Refund Policy

Active duty military or veteran students receiving tuition sponsorship through the Military Tuition Assistance Program or Veteran’s Administration, who completely withdraw from classes, are required to have aid evaluated to determine amount earned. Unearned aid is returned to the federal programs. The amount of federal funds returned to the federal programs will be determined based on the date the withdrawal process begins or the last date of attendance. If the date the withdrawal process begins or last date of attendance is not available or known, the federal refund will be based on the 50 percent point of the semester. Military tuition assistance or Veteran Administration funds will not be returned after the 60 percent point of the semester.

Student should refer to the Schedule of Unearned Funds for percentages and amounts.

Standard Operating Procedure Regarding Department of Defense Voluntary Education Directorate Institutional Compliance Program

As part of its efforts to eliminate unfair, deceptive, and abusive marketing aimed at Service members, Carteret Community College follows the standard operating procedures outline below:

(1) The College bans any inducements, including any gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment, hospitality, loan, transportation, lodging, meals, or other item having a monetary value of more than a de minimis [defined as “an insignificant amount”] to any individual or entity, or its agents including third party lead generators or marketing firms other than salaries paid to employees or fees paid to contractors in conformity with all applicable laws for the purpose of securing enrollments of Service members or obtaining access to Tuition Assistance (TA) funds. Educational institution sponsored scholarships or grants and tuition reductions available to military students are permissible

(2) The College refrains from providing any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing enrollments or federal financial aid (including TA funds) to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities, or making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance;

(3) The College refrains from high-pressure recruitment tactics such as making multiple unsolicited contacts (3 or more), including contacts by phone, email, or in-person, and engaging in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing Service member enrollments.

Additionally, the College refrains from high-pressure recruitment tactics such as making multiple unsolicited contacts (3 or more), including contacts by phone, email, or in-person, or engage in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing Service member enrollments.

All Service members are advised to speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Branch of Service prior to enrollment in the institution.

Service members are also advised to speak with the Financial Aid Office regarding applying for and receiving Federal, State or Institutional financial aid.  Carteret Community College does not offer Federal or private student loans.

Contact Information
Brenda Long, Veterans Certifying Official
(252) 222-6151

Kristian Jenkins, Student Life Coordinator
Bryant Student Center, Room 3113
(252) 222-6253

Location & Hours
Carteret Community College
Bryant Student Center Building
3505 Arendell Street
Morehead City, NC 28557
(252) 222-6080
Monday-Friday | 8AM-5PM

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap